Birds & Words

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Eroded Metallic Altered Box

Hey CC3C artists!  I have been WAITING for this challenge.  I absolutely love this technique and I know you will, too.  There is real artistry here, a technique you can just play and play with, figuring out your timing for the steps, the amounts and methods for applying your medium, and where you are placing your effects.  So much fun!!

Turn to page 44 of Compendium of Curiosities Volume III to learn the Eroded Metallic technique.  You probably already have what you need to do it right in your studio!

As per the guidelines for our challenges, I won't give you any of the details of the technique here, but I will give you tips that helped me as I prepared the project for this challenge.  Tip #1:  There is a learning curve.  Determine to have fun with this and just play!  I knew I'd be creating an altered box, but I got myself a stack of manila tags and practiced the technique till I was comfortable with it.  I've got a bunch of tags ready to go for a future project, as well.
Am I the only one who has trouble throwing away the FABULOUS boxes that iPhones come in?  I went through my "Ready to Alter" stash and grabbed this for my project.
I cut black card stock to fit my box top.  The box measurements were kind of weird (6 15/16 long????) so I had to play with it a bit to cut a template that fit.
Ta da!  Eroded Metal.  I used Cracked Pistachio, Broken China, Faded Jeans, and Tarnished Brass Distress Paints.  Tip #2:  After working the technique, I rubbed some of the "undercooked" areas with a paper towel and got just a bit more erosion.  That may or may not help, depending on the result you have after you have done the technique yourself.  
Score tape around the edges of my iPhone box, ready to apply my Eroded Metallic cut out template.
I prepared some copper tape with Distress Paints and a little Pitch Black alcohol ink and Blending Solution. for the corners and unfinished edges of the Eroded Metallic template.
I think I went slightly crazy using Distress Paints and alcohol ink together.  Love it on these metal surfaces (copper tape and the metal corners).  Very interesting colors and texture combinations.
Here I'm working with the layout of the embellishments for the top of the box.  I've used some vintage ephemera I bought from my sweet friend, Lisa Pace.  Love her beautiful art!!  The collection she sent me included these vintage doilies and this gorgeous miniature silver spoon from Italy.  I don't know how she could bear to part with it.  Its laid on my desk for the longest time, waiting to be included in a mixed media piece.  It was a joy to add it to this one, giving it meaning.

The little Heirloom Roses are so pretty.  Here's a video from CHA 2015 with Tim showing a lot of the new Ideology releases and a demo coloring these little resin roses.
So there it is.  All you need to know to enter and win CC3C challenges is here on Linda Ledbetter's blog.  Be sure to:

Speaking of our sponsor, this time its our good friends at Inspiration Emporium.  They've got a truly generous $50 gift certificate for a random winner!  Our Curiosity Crew choice wins a super special prize from Tim Holtz himself, and his Logistics Director, Mario Rossi.  

You've got two full weeks to create and enter and the Crew will be watching eagerly for all your creative entries!!



42 comments:

  1. Perfect technique for your upcycled box. Wonderful embellishments. I also am a collector of well made boxes. Don't have an Iphone but my HTCone came in a fun little box. Maybe I'll alter it. Thanks again for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it Cheryl!!! Adding those perfect vintage items to the top of your gorgeous box just makes it even more special. Love how you've coloured the roses too. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Cheryl!!! Your tutorial is awesome and I thank you for sharing "the birth" of this awesome little altered IPhone box! Who knew something so beautiful could come from such a simple but sturdy box?! Love your top! The butterfly, doily cut out, sweet little roses and that gorgeous spoon are a perfect collection of awesomeness. love the altered metal tape corners, too! Beautiful job, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you changed an old box into something amazing! The step by step is really helpful. The arrangement on top is cute. Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl...you have made me happy dance over this one! I have those boxes! I have a stash of those boxes...hmmm....hehehehe. GORGEOUS! that is the word. Oh and BEauTifUL...and CHArMiNg...and DAInTY and you know how I adore butterflies...ah..this is a heavenly piece! LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that you altered an IPhone box...never looked better...lol! Gorgeous colors achieved on the technique, and love all the Lisa goodies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your vintage altered IPhone box. This is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh oh oh - yes... I have one of those boxes - yeah!!! Great idea!! This is lovely Cheryl. I would never have guessed in a million years it was a box remake. Looks like something from an expensive boutique! Thanks bunches for sharing your process. Very inspiring. j.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remind me when you are here to show you how to make bread dough roses. They would be perfect for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is just amazing! I am so inspired! Fantastic use of Tim's favorite technique! LOVE it!
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea for use of those perfect boxes we all have stashed for future use! Thanks for the inspiration to try these neat technique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh No! You're not the only one who hoards nice little boxes, Cheryl! :) :) There's always a second purpose for everything :) You've brought this simple iPhone box to a whole new level of usefulness!! It's Beautiful! Such a great example of using the Eroded Metal technique--this does look like a metal box! Amazing Inspiration from all of the Curiosity Crew with this technique!! Thank You!!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I think about it, I have an attic full of App,e boxes! And the technique worked so well on black card!

    Thanks for the paper towel trick. I will try that next time round!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blew me away ... this altered box is gorgeous ( your description made me nervous about doing this... but you KNOW I gotta do it :) )! So many fun details and embellishments too ... roses, crochet doily and those box corners... love the spoon too !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I'm a package saver! This turned out fabulously!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, I figured I was the only one saving my iPhone boxes to make something cool, hee, hee. Great up cycled project. Loving the vintage vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what an awesome little box - this is brilliant! Love it! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  18. what an awesome little box - this is brilliant! Love it! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a perfect idea to give new life to the boxes.
    I love how you managed to apply the technique ..... it is not easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a perfect idea to give new life to the boxes.
    I love how you managed to apply the technique ..... it is not easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Cheryl, this turned out so lovely! I love that we can use this technique and still keep it looking feminine with the right embellishment. And yours are perfect! Love that spoon. (And I, too, have my iPhone box stashed away.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful box, Cheryl! What a great idea to recycle the IPhone box! The erosion technique turned out incredibly well and Lisa's vintage ephemera is the perfect use of embellishments to finish it off! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful box! I love your vintage additions, perfect work! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a creative way to recycle that iphone box!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a creative way to recycle that iphone box!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a super transformation of your plain phone box. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A wonderful idea for upcycling a box, love the crocheted element.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very cool box. The touch of pink is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How cool is this Upcycling at its best. The metal tape and corners look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my gosh, I love Lisa Pace, too! I have all her books and wish she'd writer another. (Tell her to get on it! LOL)

    This is so cool; I like your combo of the alcohol inks with paint - need to try that! Great idea to practice first; this technique can be challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my gosh, I love Lisa Pace, too! I have all her books and wish she'd writer another. (Tell her to get on it! LOL)

    This is so cool; I like your combo of the alcohol inks with paint - need to try that! Great idea to practice first; this technique can be challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Do not think you are alone in this box fetish...there are millions of us out there! But, you my dear have turned this into something so vintage and amazing! No need for therapy sessions. Great inspiration for this eroded metallic technique. I appreciate the motivation...I thought this was going to be an easy technique, but NOOOO! I'm on my 15 trial as we speak! I even tried the extra boost of an extra towel wipe or two, even before you suggested it, and still....may have to miss this one, too! But still enjoying seeing everyone's inspiration, and enjoying trying out the technique, even if nothing gets posted!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your box came out beautifully! I have the same problem; bags of small boxes in my closet to be re purposed! Hmm, it is time to start Holiday planning...

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are not the only one who can't throw those away, lol! But, now I am inspired to remake mine. Yours is beautiful! Love all the sweet elements.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh this is magic, Cheryl! The altered box is a treasure and I do love how you applied the EM technique. Wowser!

    ReplyDelete
  36. WOW I have the same box but... I have never had this great beautiful idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Cheryl, your box is wonderful...I have several of those boxes that I just can't seem to throw away...I see gift boxes in their future, Love how you used the technique on the box and the embellishments are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great altered art Cheryl - love the combination of elements. Nxxx

    ReplyDelete
  39. I just LOVE it!!!! Not just WHAT u made, but what u made it FROM, too!!!! I also have a rough time parting with those boxes- the iPad boxes are also very nicely built and I saved that one, too!!! I think I'm gonna put a FB callout for anyone's boxes they don't want....make really nice CHRISTmas gifts...ya think?!? SWEET job on this!!!! Looks at first glance like a ATC !!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is so cool and you're RIGHT it's impossible to throw those boxes out!!

    ReplyDelete