Birds & Words

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Ready for SPRING!!


As usual, I am WAY ready for spring and making it harder to wait because I start thinking about it really early.  But for those who want to know, the first day of spring is three weeks from today!!

I'm posting today a few cards featuring Creative Impressions twine.  I luv this stuff and use it regularly for sewing, tying off ribbons and tags, and layering with ribbons to give them more body when I tie bows.  Its got a great organic earthiness which I like to incorporate into my work.

In this first card I used CI twine in a natural color to embellish twill ribbon with sewn "x's", french knots on the little cotton frame and tying a knot on the yellow button to unify the whole piece.


This could be a valentine, but works well anytime.  I borrowed from the "hello" in the background paper and stitched the word on a simple cotton panel, outlined a Bits of Bling heart and x's at the corners to visually anchor the front panel.


I love using this paper piecing technique.  I take some strips of patterned papers, scratch up the edges and piece them over a black card stock panel.  Then, pulling colors from the patterned paper, I stitched stems and a border with CI twine and used Bits of Bling flowers and pearls.  


This is a similar card using flower brads with Bits of Bling as centers for the flowers.  A little pink Bits of Bling butterfly at bottom right finishes the piece.


Here are the papers I started with.  The top two are both sides of a double sided paper and the bottom to are coordinating papers from a paper stack I picked up someplace.

4 comments:

  1. These are so sweet! Since I feel there should be no snow or cold starting on the first day of spring, I also feel there should be no snow until the first day of winter. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Kathleen. Why aren't we in charge??? ;-)

      Delete
  2. Love these cards, Cheryl! What a wonderful idea to use the twine for stitching! Love the sweet little flowers too! I think I will have to try that paper piecing technique too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. You come up with so many great ideas for using paper scraps. You can add this to your tool bag! ;-)

      Delete